Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, October 10, 2014

The Order of the Unicorn (The Imaginary Veterinary #4) by Suzanne Selfors...

How I Heard About It:  This is one of my favorite series for children.  A year or so ago I chose the first book in the series, The Sasquatch Escape, for a "Breakfast with Books" book club selection.  Ever since I read the first book, I have enjoyed all the books in the series.  I was excited to read this fourth installment that came out this past summer.    

What It Is About:  Ben and Pearl are back to work at the Imaginary Veterinary with Dr. Woo.  They are excited about another day at the "worm factory" and what it has in story for them.  This time Dr. Woo's assistant, Mr. Tabby, is going away for a few days, so Ben and Pearl get to spend their time with Dr. Woo herself.  On their other adventures, they have always gone "up" in the factory, but this adventure will take them "down" into a whole new world.  Dr. Woo tells the children about a partner that she use to have, but now he is her enemy and trying to figure out her secrets.  They realize he may have gotten into the secret forest and be after the horn of the Unicorn.  It is up to Pearl to find and lure the Unicorn to safely before "the enemy" gets to it first.  

What I Thought Of It:  The fourth book did not disappoint.  These are the PERFECT chapter books for students in grade four which is what I teach.  I enjoy the format of the book.  The illustrations are awesome, the chapters are short, and they end with a cliffhanger.  In my opinion, the story is just getting better and better.  I have enjoyed seeing the characters evolve, change, and grow even though all four books have only been over the course of a week.  I look forward to book number five!

Who Should Read It:  This book and series is perfect for readers in grades three and four.  The stories would make for a terrific read aloud in any elementary classroom.  If a reader were going to read the book on their own, a strong reader in second grade could handle it.  It is perfectly geared toward readers in third and fourth grade.  If you had a reader in fifth grade that was a bit behind grade level, this would also be the perfect fit.  Happy Reading!

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment