Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, August 25, 2017

Skeleton Tree by Kim Ventrella

How I Heard About It:  I picked up this ARC during ALA in Chicago this past June.  It has been sitting in my TBR pile since then.  I picked it up yesterday and read the entire thing in one sitting.  The story was quite good!  

What It Is About:  When Stanly finds a bone in his backyard, his whole life changes.  He isn't quite sure where this bone comes from or what it is, but he bound and determined to figure it out.  Stanly confides in his little sister and his best friend about the discovery.  He submits this discovery to a "contest" in order to win with the hopes of bringing his father home.  As the bone changes from a bone into an actual Skeleton, the three children realize they have something unique and special on their hands.  When Stanly's sister becomes ill, he believes it is because of the "skeleton".  His sister on the other hand has found a friend in the skeleton and wants to spend all her time with it.  The more Stanly wants to distance his sister from this "creature", the more she seems to need it around her.  Stanly is torn between two worlds and must come to terms with some difficult decisions.  

What I Thought Of It:  I read the book in one sitting.  It was quite good and kept my interest for the entire story.  I'm normally not a fan of "fantasy" stories, but I did enjoy the one.  I was intrigued by the idea of a bone, a skeleton, and the effect it had on Stanly and his family.  I enjoyed how the author created two plot lines.  The first being the discovery of the skeleton and the second the family dynamics dealing with the sister's illness.  I recently finished The Peculiar Incident on Shady Street and this is the second story that I can see sharing during the month of October.  

Who Should Read It:  The book isn't very long at just over two hundred pages so it would be ideal for the fourth and fifth grade reader.  A strong reader in third grade would also be a reader that would enjoy the story.  This would make for an excellent read aloud, especially during the month of October and the holiday of Halloween.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment