Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Word of Mouse by James Patterson and Chris Grabenstein

How I Heard About It:  This book has been in my TBR box for quite some time.  I think I got the ARC at NCTE last year.  I had it in my classroom for the school year, but brought it home to read during my summer break.  The book was my last one of my 21 Day/21 Book Challenge that I recently just finished before heading back to work.  

What It Is About:  Isaiah is a mouse.  Isaiah is a blue mouse.  Isaiah can read and write.  He can also talk to humans.  Isaiah and his "mischief" have been living in a laboratory in an unfortunate environment.  After they all escape, Isaiah is separated from his family and left alone.  He must survive cats, owls, and humans who are not fond of mice.  Life gets especially interesting when Isaiah meets a girl named Hailey.  At first he thinks she will respond just like all the other humans have, but he is surprised to learns she is quite different and more than open to forming a friendship with a little mouse.  The two of them begin a new journey together trying to reunite Isaiah with his family and save them from some evil forces.  

What I Thought Of It:  While searching my TBR box I wanted, and needed, something completely different from what I had been reading.  When I saw this title I knew it was the perfect book to end my "challenge" with.  I love all things James Patterson and Chris Grabenstein.  I'm not sure I had read an animal story by them so I was excited to see what it was all about.  I love animal stories and I love mouse stories.  This one was wonderful.  Isaiah was endearing, thoughtful, and such a sweet character.  His adventures kept me interesting and engaged for the entire reading experience.  I know many young readers will also enjoy this fun and energetic story.  

Who Should Read It:  I think third, fourth, and fifth grade readers will completely LOVE the story of Isaiah and his friends.  The chapters are short and full of life and energy.  Young readers tend to enjoy animal stories and this one will really capture their heart.  The books has lots of illustrations which I also think is a strong point for readers in elementary school.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment