Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, April 2, 2018

Bluebird, Bluebird by Attica Locke

How I Heard About It:  I had not heard of this title until a member of my BBC (Boy's Book Club) choose it for our current selection.  I used my Audible app and listened to the story while driving to and from work.  I finished it right before my spring break.  

What It Is About:  Darren Matthews is a black Texas Ranger in East Texas.  Darren finds himself being called to a small town named Lark.  A double murder has occurred in this town.  The first murder was a black man.  The second murder was a white woman.  Some members of the town think the murders are related and others say they have nothing to do with each other.  Darren takes it upon himself to find out what really happened to both of these people.  While investigating the murders; he uncovers secrets, stories, and lies that all lead to the "real" explanation of how these two people were actually murdered.  

What I Thought Of It:  I don't think the genre of "mystery" and/or "thriller" are exactly for me.  But I'm glad I'm in a book club because it does expose me to different genres and types of stories that I don't normally read.  I am glad I listened to this story because I don't think I would have gotten into it if I were reading it in text form.  Overall, I liked the story and was a bit curious to find out who was responsible for the two murders, but found the plot to move a bit too slow for my pace.  I also feel like I didn't connect with any of the characters.  

Who Should Read It:  Readers who enjoy "race relation" type stories will enjoy this story.  If you have any connection to Texas, small towns, and/or Rangers, then this may be the story for you.  It is definitely a novel for adults readers.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  3 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment