Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, April 29, 2018

Tangerine by Christine Mangan

How I Heard About It:  I always enjoy reading about the new releases on Amazon's Best of the Month list.  This title was on that list and was also written up on a couple of other sites.  When I ran across it on my "Hoopla" app, I downloaded it so I could listen on my way to and from work.  

What It Is About:   Alice and Lucy were college roommates.  They formed an intense friendship and were going to conquer the world.  Lucy became jealous of Alice's relationship with Tom.  She decided to do something about it.  Years later, Alice is living in Tangier with her new husband John.  Lucy has never forgotten Alice or what they had.  She makes it her mission to find Alice and recapture what they once had.  Lucy travels to Tangier and actually finds Alice and her husband.  At first Alice isn't thrilled that her former friend has arrived on her doorstep, but eventually connects with her and what they once had.  But the more time these two women spend together, the more Alice realizes Lucy may not be in "sound" mind and want more than Alice can offer.  When Alice's husband John goes missing, Alice can't believe the past is repeating itself and she has a sinking feeling Lucy is the one to blame.  

What I Thought Of It:  Once I downloaded the book, I read a few reviews of the book.  It seemed the critics LOVED it, while the readers were SO-SO about the story.  The beginning of the story was a bit slow for my taste and I almost gave up on it.  I continued to listen and all of a sudden found myself very intrigued my the story and these "raw" and "not so nice" characters.  The more the story unfolded, the more I wanted to listen.  The ending was awesome and kept me in my car for extra periods of time.  

Who Should Read It:  This is definitely a novel published for adult readers.  I would say readers that are drawn to fiction and literature, will most likely enjoy the story.  There is definitely a mysterious component, so mystery readers would also be a great audience.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment