Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, April 29, 2018

The 11:11 Wish by Kim Tomsic

How I Heard About It:  I picked up this title during #NCTE17 in St. Louis.  It sat in my TBR box for most of the school year.  My students were talking about 11:11 and how to make a wish at that time.  That reminded me of the book, I dug it out, and began reading.  

What It Is About:   Megan isn't thrilled that she had to leave her old school and start a new one.  But since it is a given, she decides to give herself a "make-over" and come up with a new and more popular image.  The first day can always be difficult, but Megan is in for a surprise when she is "zapped" which means she must make some "magical" happen on her first day at the new school.  Little does she know that this school "ritual" will put her smack-dab in the middle of a popularity war between the two spirit captains.  When her first "magical" wish comes true, Megan is thrilled; but throws her in a world-wind adventure of clocks, magazines, friends, enemies, and learning who she truly is and wants to be.  

What I Thought Of It:  I really enjoyed the beginning of the book.  I was interested in the 11:11 wish and what would come of it.  As the story continued, I did lose some interest and engagement.  I think mainly it was because I couldn't quite connect to the group of girls and their "shenanigans".  For me, the plot moved a little too slow, but I plowed through and finished the story.  I do think part of the disconnect is my age and I know that my fourth grade female readers will enjoy the book.  

Who Should Read It:  The novel would be best suited for fourth, fifth, and sixth grade girls.  I know they will enjoy and be interested in Megan's story and what happens to her as she is trying to fit in at a new school.  The novel would also be great for middle-school readers.  Even though I didn't necessarily love the story, I will be adding it to my classroom library collection.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  3 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment