Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Ebb and Flow by Heather Smith

How I Heard About It:  This title came to me via the publisher.  I was thrilled to see that it was written in free verse.  I've been trying to read more books written in this format.  The story was a quick read and I enjoyed the novel.  

What It Is About:   Eleven year old Jett moved to a new town with his mother after his father went to jail.  They needed a new start.  What Jett found was a new friend who lead him down a difficult road.  After a "tough" year making some poor choices with his new buddy, Jett's mother sends him to spend the summer with his grandmother.  At first Jett is unhappy, distant, and won't share much with his grandmother.  As the two of them spend time in her unique home and beautiful surroundings, they each open up to each other.  Jett is finally able to reflect on the past year, his mistakes, and what he has learned from them.  

What I Thought Of It:  A beautifully told story.  The words flowed from page to page.  I don't normally gravitate toward free verse stories, but this particular one worked so well for me.  I thought Jett was a memorable and true character.  Of course the grandmother was a highlight of the story and brought so much warmth to my heart.  Everyone needs a woman like that in their life.  The whole tone of the book was warm, personal, and touching.  I absolutely loved the book.  

Who Should Read It:  I think Jett's story would be perfect for readers in grades five and six.  Of course middle-school readers will also be touched by his story.  Adult readers that read middle-grade books MUST put this title on their TBR list.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment