Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, May 19, 2018

My Name is Venus Black by Heather Lloyd

How I Heard About It:  While looking through my GoodReads list of books to be read, I came across this title.  I don't remember adding it, but was ready to read a young-adult novel. I actually downloaded it via my Audible app and listen for the last couple of weeks while going to and from work.  

What It Is About:   When Venus Black was about thirteen years old, she was arrested for the murder of her step-father.  She refuses to talk about what happened and finds herself spending five years in a prison for young people.  Venus left her mother and younger brother with special needs behind.  Right around the time she was arrested, her brother Leo goes missing.  It tears Venus apart, but there is nothing she can do from behind bars.  Five years later, when Venus is released, she decides to begin a new life and put the past behind her.  She is estranged from her mother and has no idea if Leo is alive or dead.  She takes on a new name, new identity, and slowing begins to take her life back.  As the days proceed on the outside, Venus' past slowly creeps back and she is confronted with both her mother and Leo.  

What I Thought Of It:  An incredible audio story.  I enjoyed it from the beginning to the very end and my attention never wavered.  There were so many aspects of this work of fiction that I enjoyed.  Mainly the characters were well written, realistic, and thought-provoking.  The plot centered on the relationships that Venus had, but there was also a major sense of suspense as to what happened with Leo, his life, and if he would be reunited with his mother and sister.  There were times when I was frustrated with the decisions that some of the characters made, but to me this is an excellent sign of tremendous writing.  

Who Should Read It:  I know this novel is billed for the "young-adult" reader, but I think the book could be read by both the young-adult and adult reader.  The plot is engaging, pulls the reader in, and explores quite a few relational type issues.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment