Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, May 28, 2018

The Endling: The Last by Katherine Applegate

How I Heard About It:  How could one not hear that the one and only Katherine Applegate was releasing a new novel?  A few months ago while on Twitter I learned that a new novel was coming from one of my favorite middle-grade authors.  I was thrilled.  I ordered it from Amazon as soon as it was released.  

What It Is About:   This is the first of a new series.  I would classify it as animal fantasy.  The story begins with the "daime" pack being in danger.  Byx is the youngest member of this pack.  After a terrible event that targets Byx's pack, she realizes she may be the last member alive.  Her species is dog-like, but they are also human-like.  Byx heads out on a journey to find safety and the possibility of other "daimes".  While on her journey, she comes across other animal type creatures along with humans.  Each one of them is on a personal journey of their own.  Byx meets Tobble, who is a wobbyk; Khara, a human girl; Renzo, a thief; and Gambler, a felivet.  This group travels many miles through a war-torn kingdom.  While traveling they encounter many challenges and dangers.  Byx knows she may be the last of her kind, and does everything she can to make sure she doesn't put herself in danger and/or get killed.  

What I Thought Of It:  It has been quite some time since I've read an animal fantasy story.  It is a genre I don't normally gravitate toward, but how can you go wrong with Katherine Applegate.  I enjoyed the story of Byx and her adventures.  At first I was a bit confused by the names and locations, but decided not to let "names" get in my way of the story itself.  It always amazes me how writers can create mythical "characters" that seem so real and human-like.  The plot was engaging and kept me interested until the very last page.  Katherine's writing is exquisite and she has such a way with words.  I can see young readers being spell-bound by the characters and action within the pages of the novel.  

Who Should Read It:  In my opinion, this novel would be best suited for fifth and sixth grade readers.  A strong fourth grade reader may be able to handle the length and content of the story.  Middle-school readers will also find this an incredible read.  Young readers who enjoy animal fantasy will eat up the adventure of Byx and her friends.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment