Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

After Zero by Christina Collins

How I Heard About It:  The publisher "Sourcebooks - Jabberwocky" sent me an advanced copy of Christina Collins' debut novel.  The title and cover caught my attention, but it was the story that captured my heart.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Elise doesn't speak and keeps tally marks of how many words she speaks each day.
2.  *Her mother is keeping a major secret from her and when Elise finds out the truth, it changes her world upside down. 
3.  *Because of her "differences" from the crowd, she has lost her best friend, but has gained a new one.  
4.  *A stuffed raven in Elise's English classroom comes to life and guides her on a journey of self-discovery and exploration.  
5.  *Elise's silence is the one thing that keeps her safe, but is could also put her in great danger and cause her to lose everything she has come to know and love.  


What I Thought Of It:  I could tell this was going to be one of those heart-wrenching and emotional reads after the first few pages.  Once I began reading, I couldn't stop.  I was drawn into Elise's world and I'm still thinking about her.  I don't want to give too much away, but I've never read a middle-grade novel with a character dealing with the issues that Elise is suffering from.  The author did an incredible job of taking the reader inside the mind and thoughts of Elise.  My heart hurt so many times while reading about Elise's struggles.  I just wanted to reach into the pages and rescue her.  There was a major "twist" with the plot and I can tell you I didn't see it coming.  As a reader, I enjoyed how the author was abel to combine elements of realistic fiction and fantasy together.  After Zero will definitely be a novel that I "book-talk" with my students during the next school year.  


Who Should Read It:  This novel can be pretty heavy at times and deals with some serious life-issues.  I would recommend the book being used in grades four and above.  The story is probably perfect for fifth and sixth graders along with middle-school readers.  Using it as a class read aloud would lead to some wonderful and deep conversations.  Adult readers who gravitate toward middle-grade stories definitely need to put this title on their TBR list.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment