Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, July 28, 2018

Daring Dreamers Club #2: Piper Cooks Up a Plan by Erin Soderberg

How I Heard About It:  The author herself was kind enough to send me an ARC of this book.  Now that I have finished, I will be sending it on an expedition with my #bookexpedition Twitter group.  

What It Is About:  This is the second installment in the Disney Daring Dreamers Club.  In the first book, the reader got to know Milla.  This time around it is all about Piper.  She is the middle child and isn't quite sure where she fits in with her family.  Piper does have a fondness and interest in cooking, food, and science.  She is creative and adventurous in the kitchen.  When Piper finds out she is going to be a contestant on a televised cooking show, she is beyond excited.  Not only will this be an opportunity to shine and present her talent, but the contest may also help her family.  Piper relies on both her teacher/advisor and the other members of the Daring Dreamers Club to prepare for the big "cook-off".  Piper wants to find her own personal success and accomplishment; her "tie" to her Disney Princess, friendships within the club, and support from family all lead her in the direction she is meant to go.  

What I Thought Of It:  I was thrilled to get back to the Daring Dreamers Club.  I enjoyed the first book of the series and was excited to get to know Piper.  My students from this past year were lucky to have read both book one and the manuscript of book two.  After they read both installments, they met with the author herself.  They had a wonderful discussion about the books, the characters, and being the best version of yourself.  I enjoyed the story line and following Piper's dream.  Erin has a wonderful way of writing that appeals to the young reader.  The plot was entertaining while also presenting a variety of important life-lessons.  This is one series that is definitely going to be highlighted in my classroom.  

Who Should Read It:  I'm always on the lookout for books and/or series that are geared toward early fourth grade readers.  Erin Soderberg's new Disney series is just perfect.  This book/series could be read by second, third, and fourth grade readers.  Of course that doesn't mean older readers would enjoy the series.  The story line may appeal to female readers a bit more than our boys because of the princess theme.  I know my girls from my class loved both Milla and Piper's story.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment