Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Willa of the Wood by Robert Beatty

How I Heard About It:  This new novel, released on July 10th, came to me via the publisher.  I saw that it got several 5 stars reviews.  I actually decided to listen to the story on Audio while I was getting my 10,000 steps a day!  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Willa is a young "night spirit" who is ONE with the forest.  Humans are NOT her friends.  
2.  *She has many specials powers that come from the "forest".  
3.  *Willa has been taught to hate the humans and do everything in the name of her clan.  After she is injured, she comes in contact with a human.  This "meeting" leads her on a journey where she learns the truth about both her clan and the human population.  
4.  *Willa travels the woods with the wisdom and knowledge of her beloved grandmother.  
5.  *One father and his three children must rely on Willa to save each of them and bring justice to those that have harmed them.  


What I Thought Of It:  I was looking forward to reading/listening to this story because all of the reviews I had looked at gave the story 5 stars.  When I first started to listen, I wasn't sure why so many readers had praised and blessed this novel.  There was very little conversation, lots of written detailed description, and names that I didn't understand and/or remember.  Each day as I took my walk, I turned on the story and continued to listen.  I'm glad that I did because as I progressed into the story, I began to enjoy it more and more.  It was about half-way through, that everything really fell into place and I was hooked.  The action/events picked up pace, the characters began to be challenged, and the suspense grew and grew.  Willa was a warrior, fierce, and determined.  The author did an incredible job of connecting her story to the reader.  By the last page, I felt like I knew her personally.  Her interactions were the human population were heart-warming and touching.  I'm so glad I didn't stop listening when that thought crossed my mind.  This was an extremely satisfying reading experience.  


Who Should Read It:   If I were to put this book in the hands of a reader, I would pick a strong reader in grades four or above.  There is a lot to this story to take in and comprehend.  The plot line is complex, detailed, and thrilling.  I could see fifth and sixth grade readers enjoying Willa's adventure the most.  Middle-School readers would also be an appropriate audience for this tale.  The audio version was wonderful and well-told.  Happy Reading!  



Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment