Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Resistance by Jennifer A. Nielsen

How I Heard About It:  I was lucky to pick up an ARC of this novel during #NerdCampMI.  I had seen many positive reviews and was excited to read it. Once I started yesterday, I could NOT stop reading.  

What It Is About:  Jennifer A. Nielsen takes the reader back in time to Poland where the Nazi's have taken control.  Chaya is one of three children living with their parents.  They all are trying to make the best of a difficult situation.  Chaya's family are Jewish and being targeted by the enemy.  When Chaya's younger sister is taken away and her brother disappears, she decides she isn't going to sit by and let someone else take control of her life.  She learns about and becomes a "courier".  In this role, she helps various Jewish people that are living in the ghettos of Poland.  She sneaks her way into and out of the ghettos bringing food, materials, and even helps people escape from these areas.  As the couriers begin to take on more responsibility, they make their way to Warsaw, Poland.  Chaya makes this journey with a new friend named Esther.  The two of them face many dangers, but through it all they keep moving forward with the goal of helping as many Jewish people as they can.  

What I Thought Of It:  I was not aware of the "resistance" that took place during the Nazi invasions.  This story was fascinating, shocking, and at times heart-wrenching.  As I read about Chaya and all the dangers she faced, I couldn't imagine the courage it took for her to break free from her family and do everything she could to help her people.  The pacing of the story was incredible.  There were so many times when I thought I should stop reading and get something done, but then I thought "just one more chapter".  While reading, I felt a wife range of emotions and felt like I was right there on the streets/ghettos with Chaya and Esther.  This may be the novel I read to my class during our historical fiction unit during the 18/19 school year.  

Who Should Read It:  Readers and fans of historical fiction MUST put this novel on their TBR list.  These readers will NOT be disappointed.  As I mentioned, I think the book could be used as a class read aloud.  Of course it should also be "book talked" so it lands in the hands of as many readers as possible.  In my opinion, individual readers should be in grades five or above.  Strong readers in fourth grade would also be able to handle the content and story line.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment