Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, July 23, 2018

Tight by Torrey Maldonado

How I Heard About It:  This ARC came to me via the wonderful Nancy Paulsen.  I didn't get to it as soon as I would have liked, but brought it with me on my trip to France.  The story brought me much enjoyment on the flight over and while in Paris.  

What It Is About:  Bryan lives in the city with his family.  He enjoys spending time with his mother at her place of work.  He doesn't get to spend as much time with his father being that he is in and out of their home.  Bryan lives his life according to his "tight" rules.  His passion is comic books and he wants to be a "super-hero" in his own life.  When his parents introduce him to another boy named Mike, Bryan isn't sure about him.  The two boys begin to spend more and more time together and eventually become real friends.  At first Bryan enjoys the new friendship, but as Mike introduces him to a variety of "bad choices", Bryan feels conflicted between what he knows is right and fitting in with his new friend.  At first it is just the two of them, but then Mike brings in a third boy, and Bryan knows he can't let Mike lead him down the wrong path.  An internal struggle ensues for Bryan and he finds life isn't as "tight" as he would like it.  

What I Thought Of It:  I loved Bryan's story.  Once I began reading, I could not stop.  The writer wrote with such honesty, realness, and passion.  So many of our young readers will be able to relate to Bryan's situation.  The story will be a strong and realistic "mirror" and/or "window" for all readers.  I appreciated the real struggle that was presented in the story that many of our young people are faced with every day.  The cast of characters were developed thoroughly and came to life on each and every page.  I enjoyed the journey that Bryan took, the lessons he learned, and the person he became by the last page.  

Who Should Read It:  I think this is the perfect story for readers in grades five and/or six.  Of course  middle-school readers would also enjoy the adventure of Bryan and his friends.  After reading the novel, I think it could make for either a read aloud or to put the book into the hands of an individual reader.  There are a few mature themes throughout the story, so I would read it first before you pass on to our young readers.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment