Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, June 10, 2019

A Drop of Hope by Keith Calabrese

How I Heard About It:  I didn't know much about this novel when I received it in the mail, but after a bit of digging I read several positive reviews and comments about the story.  I listened to it this past spring on Audible.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *The story centers around sixth grade students Ernest, Lizzy, and Ryan.

2.  *At first they don't know each other well or have much in common, but after strange things start happening in and near a well, their lives intersect in more than one one way.  


3.  *The three children stumble upon a special well because of a class at school.  Each approaches and reacts to the well in their own way.  

4.  *When they realize the wish can "grant" wishes, they not only wish for themselves, but for several of the members of their community who are in need of help and a "wish".

5.  *As more and more wishes are asked, the kids learn of a long ago mystery that involves many members of the town.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *The themes of hope and friendship was front and center of this middle-grade novel.  

2.  *The three main characters were each vital to the story, stood on their own two feet while also relying on their new friends to manage the wishes and the mystery they were trying to uncover.  

3.  *Any story that highlights and focuses on the positive of an elementary school teacher, is a winner in my book.  

4.  *The events in the story were told from multiple points of view.  I will admit this did become confusing during some sections of the book, but this could have been because I was listening to it during my commute and sometimes my mind would wander or I would get distracted.  

5.  *I thought the author did an excellent job of portraying a variety of characters that were true to themselves, flaws and all.  


Who Should Read It:   The book would be great for any reader in grades four, five and six.  I think they would enjoy the characters, the wishes, and how the events of this story play out.  The chapters/sections are short and this could be an advantage for many young students.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment