Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, June 10, 2019

The Story Web by Megan Frazer Blakemore

How I Heard About It:  This book was not one I was familiar with or near anything about.  When I received a copy from the publisher I was drawn to the cover and the magical feel it gave.  I was excited to read the story.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *In this story, the reader meets Alice, Lewis, and Melanie.  Each of them have their own story and together they create an even bigger one.  

2.  *When Alice was young she found a very large spider web in the forest near her home.  Her father told her it was a "story web".  Now Alice is ten, her father is not with her, and she has questions about this mysterious web.  

3.  *Lewis is a hockey player.  Alice use to play the sport with him, but she doesn't anymore.  He misses his friend and wonders why she isn't around anymore.  

4.  *Melanie lives with her aunt and spends a lot of time in the attic.  It is here that she observes and notices a wide-range of animals appearing and heading in the same direction.  

4.  *Alice is faced with a challenge of saving the web, but she knows she can't do it alone.  She will team up with former friends and new friends to save the web, the stories, and her history.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *I always enjoy a novel that centers around the idea of stories, the magic of stories, and how stories bond us all together.  

2.  *The characters in this book were unique, individuals, strong, and interesting to read about.  I enjoyed following their journey from separate people to a "team" that worked toward a common goal.

3.  *Being a father myself, the relationship between Alice and her dad was a special one and I appreciated how the author brought their "interactions" to life.  

4.  *I don't normally enjoy fiction with animals as characters, but for some reason it worked really well in this novel.  I loved how the animal stories were scattered throughout the entire book.  

5.  *The transformation of Alice, and others, was quite a strong point in this novel.  She is definitely a friend we all need.  


Who Should Read It:   This would make for a strong class read aloud in grades three, four, five, or six.  I know those groups of students would be captivated by the mystery, suspense, and magic of the story.  Individual readers of the book should be in grades four or above.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment