Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, June 15, 2019

Bone Hollow by Kim Ventrella

How I Heard About It:  I remember reading Skeleton Tree a few years back and enjoying the story.  When I received this copy of Kim Ventrella's new novel, I was excited to jump in and see what this story had in store for me.  

What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Gabe has lost his gramps, his mother, and his father.  That leaves him living with Miss Cleo and her chicken.  

2.  *When the chicken ends up on the roof, Gabe is the one sent to rescue it.  Unfortunately a storm hits, and Gabe is thrown from the roof to his "death".  Or was he?  

3.  *After Gabe wakes up in Miss Cleo's room, he can't figure out why he can see and hear everyone, but they can't see or hear him.  

4.  *When he realizes he has left the life he knew, Gabe finds himself alone with his dog searching for answers.  

5.  *Some of the answers come from a new friend Wynne, who is also living in this "after-life".  The two of them learn about life, death, and your role in the universe.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *After reading both of Kim Ventrella's novels, I've come to realize she writes a unique and captivating story.  

2.  *As much as the story began a bit light-hearted and humorous, the plot does take a turn toward the "dark" and "eerie" side.  But through it all, the author keeps it very kid friendly and appropriate.

3.  *One element I enjoyed most, was the relationship between Gabe and his dog.  I'm a dog person myself. so any story that focuses on a human and his dog is going to be a winner in my book.

4.  *The adventure Gabe took was fascinating, mysterious, and full of twists and turns.  There were a few sections when I was a bit confused on where and what Gabe and Wynne were doing.  

5.  *I appreciated the life-lessons the author included and the characters that grew and changed throughout the story.  


Who Should Read It:   This new novel would be best suited for readers in grades five/six or middle school.  The plot can be a bit complex so I think the reader should be in the upper grades.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars!




No comments:

Post a Comment