Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, June 13, 2019

Genesis Begins Again by Alicia D. Williams

How I Heard About It:  This middle-grade novel has been getting lots of buzz so I was excited when I got my own copy.  The novel is long at 364 pages so it took me a few summer days to complete it.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Life for a pre-teen can be difficult.  But when you don't like yourself, it can be even more of time of turmoil.  

2.  *Genesis is frustrated with her situation because she and her parents continue to have to move homes because they can't pay their rent.  


3. *After their most recent move, Genesis begins a new school and so wants to fit in with the other kids.  Her self-esteem is low and she hates the color of her dark skin.  

4.  *After a few rough starts, Genesis meets two other kids that accept her for herself.  She is exposed to new ways of life and becomes exciting for the possibilities for herself.  

5.  *This new start proves to be more difficult when she must face tough issues at home with her mother, father, and grandmother.  Most of all, she must deal with her own self-worth and coming to terms with her identity.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *This was a powerful and meaningful story about growing up and learning to love yourself.  

2.  *There were moments when I was reading about Genesis and how she felt about herself that my heart just hurt for her.  

3.  *The story was eye-opening and heart-wrenching at what families must face in making ends meet in America.  

4.  *I think the author did a phenomenal job of representing each character, their situation, and how they react to what they are faced with.  

5.  *The story was on the longer side and presented some tough and mature themes.  I think the novel could work for either a mature and older reader and/or an adult reader.  


Who Should Read It:   I think the novel could work for either a mature and older reader and/or an adult reader.  I would say the reader should be in grades five or above.  The story is a long one so the reader definitely needs to have some strong stamina.  


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment