Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, June 9, 2019

Over the Moon by Natalie Lloyd

How I Heard About It:  The novel came to me from the publisher.  Even though I had a hard copy of the book, I decided to listen to the story via my Audible app.  This was the last middle-grade book I listened to during the 2018/2019 school year.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Mallie is twelve-years old and lives a difficult life.  She and her family reside in Coal Top.  She is a young servant who must provide for her family.

2.  *There is a heavy "coat" of sadness that covers Coal Top called the DUST.


3.  *Mallie wants to do everything she can for her family so when a competition arrives in her town, she is Eager to participate.  

4.  *She is paired with a flying horse and the two of them will compete in a variety of challenges.  Each one more dangerous than the one before.  

5.  *While competing, Mallie learns of a mysterious evil secret that is controlling the town and must find her missing brother before it is too late.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *I'm glad that I decided to experience this story while listening to it. The narration was excellent and drew me into the story.

2.  *I'm not normally a fan of fantasy, but this story worked for me and I was invested in Mallie's adventure and her safety.  

3.  *The adventure, the mystery, and the "over the moon" risks kept me tied to Mallie and the other characters she encountered along the way.  

4.  *I think what I enjoyed the most was the perfect combination of realistic fiction and fantasy.  The fantasy sections almost seemed like they could really happen in the real world.  

5.  *The suspense and race toward the riveting conclusion had me listening for a marathon listening session because I couldn't stop.  


Who Should Read It:   I know that any Natalie Lloyd novel is perfect for the elementary library.  This newest work of hers should definitely be put in the hands of a fourth, fifth, and/or sixth grade reader.  The story could be shared either as a class read aloud or read by an individual.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment