Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, January 5, 2020

A High Five for Glenn Burke by Phil Bildner

How I Heard About It:
*I was lucky to receive an ARC of Phil's upcoming novel from the author/publisher.  I will be sharing this title with my #bookexpedition group on Twitter.  I love Phil's writing and stories so I was extremely excited to read.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *You could say this is a story about two baseball players.  The first being real-life Glenn Burke who played baseball "back in the day".  The second being fictional character Silas, a sixth grade boy who lives for baseball.

2.  *Silas gives a presentation in his sixth-grade ELA class about Glenn Burke.  He shares how Glenn was the first to use the "High-Five".  During his presentation, he gives an overview of Burke's life, but leaves out an important aspect of who Burke was.

3.  *Silas has left this "information" out intentionally.  He isn't ready to share Burke and/or himself.

4.  *After confiding a secret to his best friend Zoey, Silas feels like a weight has been lifted.

5.  *With this weight comes hardships, difficulties, and decisions that Silas must face before truly moving forward.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *I started the book late last night and finished it up while watching the Vikings/Saints Sunday afternoon game.  I could NOT put it down.

2.  *I'm such a fan of Phil's books and was beyond thrilled to read this advanced copy.  Bildner did NOT disappoint.

3.  *To be honest, I'm not a big baseball fan, but I was intrigued by Burke and Silas' experiences within the sport of baseball.

4.  *There was a scene between Silas and his coach, who is an incredible character, where I had tears in my eyes and could feel this emotional scene.

5.  *Phil Bildner did a tremendous job of creating an important "real-life" story that young readers will be able to relate to and appreciate.


Who Should Read It:
*This is one of those novels that could literally save a reader's life.  I know Phil has said/written this is his most personal stories to date.  As I read, I could feel that.  All readers will gain so much from reading about Silas and his journey.  The book is perfect for readers in grades five and six, along with the middle-school grades.  Adult fans of middle-grade stories, MUST put this title on their TBR list.  Happy Reading!


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment