Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, January 1, 2020

The Queen Bee and Me by Gillian McDunn

How I Heard About It:
*This title came to me via my #bookexpedition Twitter group.  I had read Gillian's first novel Caterpillar Summer.  I enjoyed that story and was excited to read her second work of fiction.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *Meet Meg.  A young girl who loves science, has a hard time sticking up for herself, and has a fear of bees.

2.  *Meet Beatrix.  A young girl who loves dance, has a hard time NOT being in charge, and can "freeze" you out like no other.


3.  *Meet Hazel.  A young girl who loves science, is a beekeeper, and the new girl in school.

4.  *These three girls will navigate old and new friendships as they navigate the hallways of their middle-school.

5.  *This is an engaging, emotional, and fast-paced story that will keep the reader captivated from start to finish.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *I brought this novel with me on our winter road trip to Colorado and boy am I glad I did.

2.  *From the moment I began to the moment I closed the book for the final time, I was completely enthralled with the story that Gillian created.

3.  *The dynamics of these three girls was a story that has been told in the past, but McDunn wove a unique, fresh, and emotional tale.

4.  *There were several moments while reading that my heart actually hurt because of what was happening between the three of them.  I had to remind myself this was a story of fiction.

5.  *I'm a sucker for a story with a life-lesson and this particular plot contained several; ranging from friendship, identity, standing up for what you believe in, and being your authentic self.


Who Should Read It:
*There is so much a young reader will gain from reading this novel.  I would recommend it for readers in grades four, five, and six.  The book would be perfect for the middle-school student because that is the age/grade of the three girls.  If you know of a young girl who is experiencing issues with peer relationships, this is definitely a book you could give them.  Happy Reading!


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment