Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, January 11, 2020

A Home for Goddesses and Dogs by Leslie Connor

How I Heard About It:
*I am a HUGE fan of Leslie Connor books.  I absolutely loved Waiting for Normal, All Rise for the Honorable Perry T. Cook, and The Truth as Told by Mason Buttle.  When I learned that Leslie had written a new story for the middle-grade reader, I was thrilled.  I was even more thrilled when I was able to pick up an ARC at #NCTE19 this past November.  I stayed up late last night to finish.  And oh boy, what a finish.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *Lydia hasn't had it easy.  She had a dad that "walked out" and recently "lost" her mother.  She would be all alone in the world if it weren't for her Aunt Brat.

2.  *Aunt Brat picks up Lydia, her box full of "Goddesses", and a whole lot of memories that Lydia has of her mother.

3.  *Lydia begins a new existence with Aunt Brat, her aunt's wife, and an elderly gentleman.  She is happy to be with them, but of course has a huge hole in her heart.

4.  *After her arrival, the two aunts "rescue" a big yellow dog.  Lydia isn't thrilled as she is NOT a dog person.

5.  *As the days pass, Lydia takes solace in the box of "Goddesses", two new friends, a hidden room, and much to her surprise; the big yellow dog.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *There is something quite special about Leslie Connor's writing.  She has a talent for writing a special, important, and touching story.

2.  *As soon as I met Lydia, I took a liking to her.  As much heart-ache as she had faced in her short life; Lydia still took a positive outlook on life.

3.  *The story of Lydia, her mother, and the "Goddesses" was unique.  I loved how they each found peace and comfort in creating these paper Goddesses that represented the different aspects of their lives.

4.  *Aunt Brat and her wife Eileen brought smiles, joy, and sometimes tears.  Every young person deserves to have two adults such as women in their own life.  Connor had such a way of bringing them, and all characters, to life.

5.  *Being a dog lover, I appreciated the story line of the "big, yellow dog" and all that the family went through to welcome him into their home.  Again, these scenes brought smiles, joy, and yes sometimes a tear or two.


Who Should Read It:
*If you are a fan of Leslie's writing, as I am, then I insist you must put her new title on your TBR list.  I guarantee you will NOT be disappointed.  The book is a a bit longer at almost 400 pages.  I would think readers in grades five and above would be perfect for the novel.  Happy Reading!


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars






No comments:

Post a Comment