Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, March 19, 2020

96 Miles by J.L. Esplin

How I Heard About It:
*To be honest, I can't remember where or how I heard about this middle-grade novel, but I did and bought an audio copy of it via Audible.  It was a tremendous listening experience.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *John and Stew are brothers who have been raised by a father who believes in being prepared for anything and has "stockpiled" their property with necessities; just in case!

2.  *After a major black-out in the country, the two boys are relieved and thrilled that their father has done this.  That is until the "goods" are stolen and the boys are left on their own to survive.  

3.  *They begin a 96 mile walk across the deserted lands of Nevada to find safety with friends that their father always said would help and protect them.

4.  *On their journey, the boys come across another set of siblings that are also on their own.  At one point, the four young people must separate to accomplish their goals.  

5.  *When John and his new friend find themselves up against some awful adults, they must face and deal with more than they ever thought possible.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *I completely enjoyed the listening of this middle-grade novel.

2.  *As I began, I wasn't sure if this was going to be a survival adventure story or a character-study of people facing difficult situations.  I found it to be both.

3.  *The more I got into the plot, the more involved I became while being riveted by the action, suspense, and events in the story.

4.  *The four characters were strong, fierce, and independent.  I rooted for them the entire way.

5.  *As a reader, I enjoyed the twists, turns, and surprises that came along at a rapid and fun pace.


Who Should Read It:
*I think most young readers will enjoy the story.  There is plenty of action and suspense to keep all readers interested.  Readers in grades four through six would be ideal along with the middle-school reader.  Happy Reading!


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment