Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, March 12, 2020

The Lonely Heart of Maybelle Lane by Kate O'shaughnessy

How I Heard About It:
*This was an ARC that I picked up during #NCTE19 this past November.  After seeing a few favorable reviews, I grabbed it from my pile and began reading.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *Maybelle is eleven and shares her life with her mother.  The only "piece" of her father she has, is an old voicemail.  

2.  *After hearing that voice on the radio, she decides it is time to make a trip to find her long-lost father.  


3.  *While her mother is away working, her neighbor lady (and teacher) agrees to spend time with Maybelle and drive her to Nashville.  Not only do Maybelle and her driver head to Nashville, but the class bully "arranges" a way for him to tag along.  

4.  *While on the road, the three passengers learn about each other's dreams, secrets, and hopes for their own happiness.

5.  *Once in Nashville, Maybelle has a major decision to make.  Should she meet her father or should she turn around and head back to the safety and comfort of home with her mother.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *I so enjoyed the story of Maybelle, her travel companions, and an epic road trip.

2.  *The three characters were brought together by such a unique and fresh way.  I enjoyed their differences and yet how similar each of them were.

3.  *The development of their friendship was special, heart-warming, and emotional.  They each gave so much to the others.

4.  *I thought the author did a spectacular job of unfolding the events in Maybelle's life and the realistic outcome with a potential father figure.

5.  *The plot flowed smoothly and held my interest for the entire read.  I look forward to sharing this title with my students.


Who Should Read It:
*I believe this is the perfect story for readers in grades four, five, and six.  Middle-school readers will also enjoy the adventures of Maybelle and her companions.  For educators who enjoy middle-grade novels, definitely need to put the title on their TBR list.  Happy Reading!


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars

1 comment:

  1. Eye candy ! For a catchy book like this, good reviews and marketing can give the sales a solid boost. Try usabookreviewers.com for reviews. I can also help create a free marketing strategy specific to your genre and book.

    ReplyDelete