Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, March 24, 2020

From the Ashes by Jesse Thistle

How I Heard About It:
*While browsing GoodReads I came across an online friend who had read and finished this memoir.  They gave the story such high praise, that I knew I wanted to read the book.  I even chose it as our next BBC (Boy's Book Club) selection.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *Jesse was one of three boys that were abandoned by their parents.  

2.  *Their yearly years were quite difficult and the boys were forced to help their father steal and beg for things they needed and didn't need.  


3.  *The brothers then spent some of their early years with their grandparents.  Life for Jesse was full of uncertainly, risks, and bad decisions.  

4.  *As a teenager he found himself wrapped up in a world of theft, drugs, and difficult situations.  

5.  *In his early years of adulthood, Jesse tried to find the right path; but this wasn't easy and took him many fails before he found some sort of peace.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *I don't read many memoirs, but when I do I find myself so immersed in the life of the writer.

2.  *This memoir was well written, well developed, and flowed beautifully from page to page.

3.  *I'm always in awe of what humans must endure in their own life time.  We certainly are resistant living creatures.

4.  *Jesse story was authentic, personal, and raw.  I appreciated his honesty and ability to tell a really strong story.

5.  *As a reader, and a man, I'm always profoundly affected by the journey of other people who had to struggle, fail, and rise up before finding who they truly were meant to be.  Jesse's story makes me want to be a better human.


Who Should Read It:
*I think all adult readers will find great satisfaction with this memoir.  The writing was strong, the events unfolded in a clear and logical method, and there was a lot of powerful and emotional moments throughout the entire book.  Happy Reading!


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment