Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, March 20, 2020

The Canyon's Edge by Dusti Bowling

How I Heard About It:
*I am so fortunate to be a member of Twitter #bookexpedition.  This is a wonderful group of readers that I have the honor of reading along side of.  This was the latest novel sent to me through #bookexpedition.  I'm a huge fan of Dusti Bowling's novels and was excited to read her newest work of fiction which is due out in the world in September of 2020.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *Nora and her father have been on their own for the last year.

2.  *They are trying to move forward from a tragic family event.  

3.  *They find themselves on a hike out in the Arizona canyons where they are hoping to find some peace.

4.  *Peace is not something they find; rather finding themselves in a dangerous flash flood where daughter and father are separated by the rushing water.

5.  *Nora finds herself struggling to survive, remembering the past year, and hoping to be reunited with her dad.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *As I mentioned, I was so excited to begin a new Dusti Bowling story.

2.  *The novel began as any Dusti novel would, but I was surprised when the traditional writing transitioned into a novel in verse.  This was a new format for the author, but worked so beautifully for the story.

3.  *I enjoyed both the present day story of Nora trying to be reunited with her father, but also soaked in the flashbacks of the previous year and the events they endured.

4.  *The verse was so well done that I found myself rereading and spending longer moments with certain passages and pages.

5.  *The pages not only contained mystery, suspense, and action; but the development of a character I won't soon forget.  Nora was one of a kind character.


Who Should Read It:
*The novel in verse would be wonderful for readers in grades four, five, and six.  Fans of Dusti Bowling will definitely want to get their hands on this novel in the fall of 2020.  I can also see middle-school readers being perfect for the story of Nora in the wilds of the canyon.  Happy Reading!


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars





1 comment:

  1. pretty picture and realistic. Get beta readers for your book using usabookreviewers.com. Beta readers help with editing, plot arcs and lend fresh eyes to the book.

    ReplyDelete