Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, September 20, 2020

Trowbridge Road by Marcella Pixley



How I Heard About It:
*I received this book from Candlewick Publishers.  As I was looking through the books in the box, this title and cover caught my eye.  I knew nothing of the book, but something told me this was a story not to be missed.  I put aside all the other books I was reading at the time and devoured the story in a couple of days.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*June Bug Jordan lives with her mother who is struggling with life.

*Ziggy lives with his mother who is also struggling with life.


*June Bug has an uncle that would do anything to help her and improve her situation at home.

*Ziggy has a grandmother that would do anything to help him and improve his situation at home.

*When June Bug and Ziggy meet each other, both of their lives are changed forever.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*Once I began reading, I knew this was going to be a special story.

*When I finished, I knew I had read one of the best and strongest middle-grade stories I've read in 2020.

*June Bug and Ziggy worked their way into my mind and heart, and I felt all the "feels" as I read about their lives and the special friendship they formed.

*Everyone needs an uncle and grandmother like these children had.

*There were several difficult and complex issues presented in the story, but written about with grace, sensitivity, and truth.  


Who Should Read It:
Because of some of the content, I would recommend the novel to fifth and sixth grade readers.  The story might be even more appropriate for the middle-school reader.  If a younger reader were to read the book, I would say they should experience it with adult by their side.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment