Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, February 28, 2021

Concrete Rose by Angie Thomas

How I Heard About It:

*We picked this as a BBC (Boy's Book Club Selection).  We had read The Hate You Give and wanted to check out the prequel.  

What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Maverick gives it his best on the basketball court, in school, and on the streets.

*He might not be able to always make the right decisions, but every decision is for his family.  

*While he is going through life with a great girlfriend, and friends on the side, he finds out he is a father.

*This news changes everything for Maverick.

*Wanting to be the best dad he can, Maverick must make some difficult and painful choices that affect everyone around him.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I'm a reader who enjoys dialogue over long drawn-out descriptions with lots of minor details.

*When I began the book, I noticed there was a lot of dialogue and I was enjoying it.  Through the course of the story, the "conversations" kept center stage and actually made it difficult for me to follow.

*I liked the character of Maverick and could "feel" the challenges he faced.

*Some young-adult novels I connect with on deep levels, and others I can tell are definitely for the younger reader.  That was the case with this story.

*Angie's writing does a terrific job of putting the reader in the center of Maverick's life and connecting with his heart-ache.  


Who Should Read It:
*As I mentioned, this is definitely a novel for the high-school and/or young adult reader.  Readers who read The Hate You Give will want to check out the story that took places years before.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   3 STARS out of 5 Stars 






No comments:

Post a Comment