Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, February 20, 2021

The Many Points of Me by Caroline Gertler

How I Heard About It:
*When the new year started, I downloaded a bunch of e-galley books onto my Kindle.  I was excited to start 2021 with a whole new batch of stories to read.  I had heard wonderful comments about this upcoming middle-grade novel so I started here.  The book will hit shelves on Tuesday, February 23, 2021.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*Georgia and her mother are on their own in New York City after her father, a famous artist, died.

*Georgia is able to carry on partly because of her best friend Theo.  


*Everyone wants Georgia to move forward by entering an art contest for young artists.  She isn't sure she wants any part of it.  

*When she finds a possible missing piece of artwork from a series of paintings her father was working on, she decides to find out if she was the "focus" of the drawing.

*Even with some strain within her friendship with Theo, Georgia sets out to solve the mystery once and for all.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*This was a beautiful and touching story.  

*I'm not necessarily and "art" person, but I was interested and fascinated by the art world that surrounded Georgia.  

*Theo was a wonderful supporting character and added greatly to the overall story.

*The setting of New York City came alive on each and every page.  

*The themes of friendship, family, and identity were explored with and unfolded with grace and dignity.


Who Should Read It:

*This would be the perfect story for readers in grades four, five, and six.  I could see it being used a class read aloud as it would support great and deep discussions.  If you have an artist in your life, this would be the book for them.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
  
4 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment