Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, February 28, 2021

The Ambassador of Nowhere Texas by Kimberly Willis Holt

How I Heard About It:
*I have been wanting to read this novel for quite some time.  I loved When Zachary Beaver Came to Town and was excited to revisit the town and its characters.  I decided to download the audio version and listen during my commute to and from the classroom.  This was one of the most enjoyable audio experiences I've had in a long time.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*During the Vietnam era, Toby and Zachary had a summer they would never forget.  

*Now it is 2001 and the story centers around Toby's daughter Rylee.  

*Rylee is adjusting to life with a strange "vibe" between herself and her best friend Twig.  Twig was on an airline flight on September 11, 2001.  

*As she is getting use to time alone, she meets a new neighbor boy Joe who has just moved to Antler after losing his father during the 9/11 terrorist attack.  

*Joe and Rylee join forces to locate the infamous Zachary Beaver and uncover what happened to him when he left Antler so many years ago.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*As I mentioned, this was one of the best audio "listens" I've had in recent times.

*Listening brought me back years to when I read I first read Zachary.  Such great memories!  

*The main character Rylee was thoughtful, sensitive, and authentic.  

*I thought Kimberly Willis Holt did a phenomenal job of bringing Zachary's story and Rylee's story together and linking in the horrific events of September 11th.  

*The themes of friendship, loyalty, and exploration came through on each and every page.  


Who Should Read It:
*This story must be in every fourth, fifth, and sixth grade classroom library.  I could see the novel being used as a class read aloud and/or put in the individual hands of a reader.  The story would be perfect for the middle-school student.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
   5 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment