Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, February 7, 2021

Halfway to Harmony by Barbara O'Connor

How I Heard About It:
*There are some books that always grab your attention.  Barbara O'Connor books are like that for me.  Way before its release, I began to hear about her new upcoming novel and I added it to my TBR list.  I bought a copy as soon as they became available.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Walter is feeling a bit lost.  Even more lost than normal since his brother Tank didn't come home.

*Posey is also feeling a bit lost, but would never admit or show it to anyone.  


*When Walter and Posey meet for the first time, each isn't sure they like their new neighbor.

*After a strange man named Banjo appears in the town of Harmony, both Walter and Posey learn what it means to be a friend, to be brave, and to fight for what is right.

*Add a big, beautiful hot air balloon that needs rescuing, and you have an adventure that Walter or Posey ever thought they would be involved in.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*With an author like O' Connor, a unique title, and a beautiful cover; I knew I was in for a treat.

*I absolutely loved everything about the story.  There was nothing left out, nothing extra, and everything fit perfectly in the middle-grade novel.

*I was captured by the characters of Walter and Posey, and they both brought a smile, and a laugh, on more than one occasion.  

*While reading, my heart warmed as Posey taught Walter a thing or two, and underneath it all, Walter also helped Posey in his own way.

*This will definitely be a story I share with my fourth graders either through a class read aloud and/or a Breakfast with Books book club selection.  


Who Should Read It:
*I could see the book being used with readers in grades three and above.  The plot is strong, the characters are like friends, and the setting is vivid and lively.  I can't imagine one reader not enjoying the newest work of fiction from Barbara O'Connor.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
  
5 STARS out of 5 Stars

1 comment: