Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, February 20, 2021

Ground Zero by Alan Gratz

How I Heard About It:
*I'm a huge fan of Alan Gratz stories and was thrilled to download his newest work of fiction on my Kindle and listen during my commute the last couple of weeks.  There were several occasions when I sat in the car in the school parking lot because I couldn't stop listening.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*On the morning of Tuesday, September 11, 2001, Brandon and his father enter the Twin Towers in New York City.  His father works on the 107th floor.

*While is father is getting ready for his work day, Brandon secretly leaves the floor to venture to the gift shop to obtain a gift for a friend.

*Within minutes of leaving the 107th floor, Brandon's world is literally torn apart by an airplane slamming into the building.

*On the morning of September 11, 2019, Reshmina faces a danger of her own in Afghanistan when she stumbles across an American soldier.  

*She must face the challenge of protecting her own family while trying to save the life of the American soldier.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*Ground Zero was one of the best audio book experiences I've had in a long time.  

*I was captivated by Brandon and Reshmina's stories and tried to figure out how the two children were connected.  

*The scenes with Brandon in the building were quite difficult to listen to and brought me back to the horrific day in 2001.  

*To be honest, there were more than a couple times when I had tears in my eyes and a sinking sense of sadness in my heart.  

*As much as I tried to figure out how Brandon and Reshmina were "related", I was so surprised by the outcome of both stories.  Well done, Alan, well done!  


Who Should Read It:
*Because of the content of the story, I would recommend the book to readers in fifth and/or sixth grade.  This would be a terrific book for a young reader and their parent to share together as they could discuss the actual events of 2001 and 2019.  Of course, the middle-school reader would be ideal for the novel.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
   5 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment