Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, August 18, 2021

All You Knead is Love by Tanya Guerrero

How I Heard About It:
*This title has popped up on my social media feed several times during the summer of 2020.  I was thrilled when I received a copy of the book via the publisher.  This was a great middle-grade read during my summer 2021 vacation reading.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Alba knows there are issues at home in New York City, but she is quite surprised when her mother tells her she will be spending time in Spain with her grandmother.  


*She has struggled with her identity and feels both of her parents don't quite understand her.  

*That is why she is surprised when her grandmother in Spain welcomes her with open arms and an open heart.

*While in Barcelona, Alba meets a new father figure, a few new friends, and becomes quite close with a grandmother she never knew.

*Learning about the country of Spain, a new way of life, and the art of baking bread all lead Alba to a new and more accepting way of life.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I thought this was a strong and satisfying read.

*The character of Alba was truly enjoyable and I enjoyed reading about her.

*There were some pretty heavy themes and topics in the story.  The cover of the book didn't always match with the "heaviness" of the story.

*The relationships Alba formed while in Spain were incredible and I was so happy for Alba.  

*The author did a tremendous job of dealing with hard issues in a kid-friendly way.


Who Should Read It:
*The story would be wonderful for readers in grades four and five while also being shared with middle-school readers; who actually might be more appropriate for the story.  As I mentioned, there are some heavy life issues presented, and I would want the reader to be able to handle those.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
  4 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment