Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Lemon Drop Falls by Heather Clark

How I Heard About It:
*I received an electronic ARC of this upcoming middle-grade novel via the "Street Team" that was formed to spread the word about the story via social media.  Once I started, I could NOT stop.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Morgan is devastated by the sudden death of her mother.

*This loss leaves her in the role of holding the family together which includes two younger siblings and her father.


*As she tries to navigate life without the mother who kept them all organized, on track, and with a plan; Morgan finds herself dealing with more stress and anxiety than she has ever had.

*When her father suggests a family camping/hiking trip, Morgan thinks it is a terrible idea.

*The family ventures to the wild with their father trying to make the most of a difficult time, two young siblings making the best of it, and Morgan facing both personal current and past issues.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*Wow, I love when I come across a story that blows me away.

*I absolutely enjoyed every aspect of Heather Clark's novel, from the wonderful characters, to the meaningful life lessons, and the suspense on the camping/hiking trip.

*As a reader, I enjoyed the format of the book going back and forth between before Morgan's mother died to after she passed.

*There were many emotional and difficult scenes sprinkled throughout the story.  I'm a sucker for a great emotional scene.  

*I look forward to sharing the novel with my fourth graders during the upcoming school year.  



Who Should Read It:
*When the book arrives on shelves in January of 2022, all elementary classrooms need to have this novel in their collection.  I think it could make for an incredible class read aloud and/or book club selection.  The plot is appropriate for readers in grades three through six, along with seventh and eighth graders.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
  5 STARS out of 5 Stars

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so so much!!! You know I’d love to connect with your fourth graders if you read it!

    ReplyDelete