Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, August 7, 2021

Anybody Here Seen Frenchie? By Leslie Connor

How I Heard About It:
*I was able to get an electronic advanced reading copy of Leslie Connor's upcoming middle-grade novel.  This ARC came from NetGalley.  I was excited to the story as I had begun to see positive comments and reviews on social media.  Leslie Connor is one of my favorite middle-grade authors and I have read and used all of her previous books with my students.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Aurora and Frenchie are best friends, but couldn't be more different from each other.  While Aurora is loud, opinionated, and open; Frenchie is non-verbal and lives mostly in his own world.  

*They met in third grade and have been in the same class ever since.  That is until they start sixth grade and learn they will be in different classes.

*Aurora has a special knack when it comes to communicating with Frenchie.  She gives a lot, but also receives so much from her best friend.

*With the class separation, Aurora finds herself with a new dynamic and the possibility of new friendships.  

*One morning, Frenchie doesn't arrive in his classroom which sends Aurora, the school staff, and the entire community in search of this very special boy.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*As soon as I began the story, I knew it was going to be one special reading experience.  

*I immediately feel in love with the character Aurora who brought smiles, laughs, and a few emotional moments.

*Frenchie was quite a special young man and I was fascinated by his world, communication, and friendship with Aurora.

*There were so many incredible connections between the townspeople, animals, and nature.  Leslie is the master of weaving all these elements together.  

*The characters, plot, and setting were all perfect and I can't wait to share the story with my fourth graders during the upcoming school year.


Who Should Read It:
*As with all of Leslie's novels, this new one will be perfect for fourth, fifth, and sixth grade classrooms.  I believe it will make for a perfect class read aloud.  Readers in seventh and eighth grade will also adore the story of Aurora and Frenchie.  Adult readers who read middle-grade stories, MUST read the book.  I know they will enjoy as much as I did.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
  5 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment