Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, August 25, 2021

The Gilded Girl by Alyssa Colman

How I Heard About It:
*This middle-grade title came to me via the publisher, Farrar, Straus and Giroux.  I didn't know too much about the book so I was excited to read.  I actually ended up listening to the story via Audible.  The narration was great!  This was the debut for Alyssa.  



What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*This is a story full of magic, suspense, and intrigue.

*Twelve-year-old Emma comes from a wealthy background and is headed toward Miss Posterity’s Academy for Practical Magic.

*After arriving at the academy, Emma learns some horrific news regarding her father.  This news changes everything for her.

*Emma meets Izzy, who is a servant at the school.  Both girls join together to make sure their magic isn't "snuffed" out.  

*Even though these two young girls are completely different from each other, they realize they should put their differences aside, join their powers, and use their magic for good.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*As I mentioned, the narration was quite enjoyable to listen to.

*I enjoyed reading about both Emma and Izzy and their unfolding friendship.

*There were lots of great magical and suspenseful moments throughout the story.

*The headmistress of the school was the perfect "evil" character that every story needs.

*Generally, I'm not a huge fan of fantasy and/or magical story lines, but I found myself engrossed during the entire listening experience.  


Who Should Read It:
*I think readers in grades three, four and five would enjoy the adventures of Emma and Izzy.  Readers who enjoy magic, definitely need to read the book.  I do think the story may appeal to female readers over males.  Just my opinion.  Of course, middle-school readers would also find enjoyment with the novel.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
  4 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment