Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, August 7, 2021

Willodeen by Katherine Applegate

How I Heard About It:
*When I realized I could obtain an ARC via NetGalley, I requested a copy and was happy when I was granted a "yes".  This was the first book I read while on summer vacation in Lake Tahoe.  I couldn't wait to see what Katherine came up with this time around.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Willodeen isn't like most eleven-year-olds.  And she is alright with that.

*She is an animal lover; a creature lover is more like it.  

*Most people in her village detest the creatures called "screechers", but not Willodeen.  She has a great love and fascination for them.  

*Life is changing for the residents of Perchance, and they are not happy about it.  Willodeen sets out to find out why life is changing and what she can do about it.  

*With the help of a new friend, Willodeen does everything she is capable of to bring a sense of peace, beauty, and balance back to the village in which she lives.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*As we all know, Katherine Applegate knows how to spin a story and spin it like no one else.

*I was captivated by Willodeen, the village of Perchance, and all the creatures that reside there.  

*There was such a beauty that came from Applegate's words and the world she created within the pages of the story.  

*The theme of nature and the human connection was strong and handled with such grace, dignity, and truth.  

*After reading the story, I came away with a feeling of hope and joy for the world in which we live.


Who Should Read It:
*As with all Katherine Applegate novels, this one will be ideal for fourth through eighth grade readers.  I know young readers will be completely immersed in Willodeen's world.  Whether the book is used as a class read aloud and/or put in the hands of readers, this new story MUST be shared with all readers.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
  5 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment