Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, August 22, 2022

Holler of the Fireflies by David Barclay Moore

How I Heard About It:
*This ARC (September 27, 2022) came to me via the publisher, Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers.  Once I picked it up, I could not stop reading.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*Javari has grown up in Brooklyn with his family and extended family members.

*He is given a chance to travel to a summer STEM camp in West Virginia; a world that couldn't be more different from what he has known.

*Upon arrival, Javari finds himself in a group of young people who love science and math as much as he does.

*The summer will consist of a large group project and he ends up in a group with two others he didn't pick on his own.  

*When Javari meets a local boy, named Cricket, his world is opened up on many different levels.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*As I mentioned, once I began reading, I found it difficult to stop reading and put the book down.

*I was drawn into the world of Javari and found him to be interesting, unique, and heart-warming.

*Not only was the story at STEM camp intriguing, but when Cricket was introduced I was drawn into Javari's world even more.

*I didn't know much about this region of our country so I found it interesting to learn about the people, the culture, and the way of life.  

*Javari had quite a memorable summer at the Virginian camp and it was a joy to ride along on his journey.


Who Should Read It:
*In my opinion, I would use this novel in the fifth and/or sixth grade classroom.  It should also be shared in all middle-school classrooms.  The story is wonderful and young readers will so enjoy.  I have not read Moore's first novel, but after reading this ARC, I will definitely be putting The Stars Beneath Our Feet on my TBR list.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   5 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment