Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, August 28, 2022

The DareDevils by Rob Buyea

How I Heard About It:
*Thank you to Penguin Random House (Delacorte) for sending me this ARC of Rob Buyea's newest novel.  I have loved all of his stories so I was excited to see what he had come up with this time.  The release date of the book was August 9, 2022.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Loretta, is one 1/2 of a twin pair, and has always protected her brother.

*Waylon, is the other half of the pair, and has always been the more fragile of the two.

*Loretta's plan for the summer before middle-school is to help her brother become stronger, more independent, and able to thrive without her by his side.  

*Little does she know, Waylon has a summer plan all of his own.

*The twins find themselves spending time in the woods calling the "spirits", befriending a new boy, and testing themselves to reach their full potential.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*As with all of Rob Buyea's novels, once I start, I can NOT stop reading until I'm done.  He has a true gift for creating a page-turner.

*Loretta and Waylon, don't you love those names, are an incredible pair and had an inspiring summer of adventure, both together and apart.

*The character of Louie was mysterious, engaging, and heart-felt.

*I loved how Rob was able to weave the past and present and the twins along with Louie's stories in such an authentic and touching manner.  

*The story was so good that I know I'm going to choose it for either a 2022/23 class read aloud and/or a "Breakfast with Books" selection.  


Who Should Read It:
*I would recommend the novel to any and all readers in grades three, four, and five.  The story would also be perfect for middle-school readers.  If you know of twins, they would be an especially perfect audience for the book.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
   5 STARS out of 5 Stars!  

No comments:

Post a Comment