Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, August 22, 2022

The Visitors by Greg Howard

H
ow I Heard About It:
*While on summer break, I love that I have more time to be on the look out for new titles and read the books that everyone is talking about.  This is one title I kept seeing and hearing about.  When I got the book and began reading, I knew why everyone was raving about the story.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*Three students enter the Hollow Pines Plantation to research an event that happened years earlier, only to find way more than they ever imagined.  

*As the group begins their Podcast research, they can tell something is different and "going on" all around them.  

*After a storm approaches and settles in over the plantation, the young people find themselves trapped with no way to get home.  

*They settle in, continue their work, and are quite surprised to find they aren't the only souls residing on the property.  

*The present and past come together, secrets are revealed, and the truth will set everyone free.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*This was the type of story that once I began I literally could not stop.  Good thing I had the weekend to myself with no one to interrupt my reading time.

*I had read The Whispers by Howard years ago so it was awesome to return to his strong and engaging story telling.  

*I loved the story of the past coming together with the present day story and kept me guessing for much of the story.

*I'm not normally a "ghost" story reader, but this one drew me in and didn't let go until I closed the book.

*The writing was strong, the characters were special, and the setting was definitely eerie.


Who Should Read It:
*I kept thinking this would be such a great story to read during the month of October; scary, haunting, and mysterious.  Because some of the subject matter and content, I would say the story would be best suited for readers in grade six and above.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   5 STARS out of 5 Stars!  




No comments:

Post a Comment