Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, December 30, 2022

Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver

How I Heard About It:
*I didn't read as many novels published for adults during 2022.  When I saw Oprah chose Barbara Kingsolver's newest work of fiction, I decided to purchase a copy and dive into this "major" undertaking at 560 pages.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*Demon Copperhead was born to an addict mother.  

*As much as she tried to clean up her life, she wasn't able, and left Demon alone.


*With the support of neighbors, Demon biggest wish is to be able to live with them.  That doesn't happen.

*After being shuffled around various foster homes, Demon lands in place where he maybe can become part of a real family.

*While playing high school football, he is injured, prescribed pain pills, which leads him down a road or addiction, poor choices, and the search for family and his place in the world.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections
*When I first began reading, I realized Barbara Kingsolver can put a lot of words on a page with very little conversation.  

*After making initial progress, more conversation was included throughout the story which made the reading process easier.  

*To be honest, there were sections that were a bit slow for my taste, and I found myself skimming.

*I'm glad I kept going as I did find portions of the story to be heartbreaking and I was engrossed by Demon's experiences.  

*The story highlighted the issues of addiction and how it can tear people apart and leave them struggling to get their life back on track.  


Who Should Read It:
*Being this is a Kingsolver novel and at almost 600 pages, this story is not for the "light" reader.  The book will appeal to the reader who loves beautiful writing, a character driven plot, and some incredibly difficult life situations.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
   3 STARS out of 5 Stars






No comments:

Post a Comment