Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Thirst by Varsha Bajaj

How I Heard About It:
*While at #NCTE22 I attended a session with a variety of authors.  One of the authors was Varsha Bajaj.  She spoke about her newest work of fiction.  I was thrilled when I received the novel in the mail.  I spent yesterday of my winter vacation reading the story about one young girl trying 


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Minni is a young girl living in the poorest section of Mumbai, India.

*Life is difficult for Minni and her family, but the shortage of water makes it even more challenging on a daily basis.

*One night while out with her friends, Minni is witness to water being stolen by "water thieves".

*She isn't sure what to do about what she saw, but doesn't have time to think about it, as her mother becomes sick and Minni must take over for her at her job as a maid.  

*It is while working for a very wealthy family, Minnie learns the differences between the life she and her family must endure, while others have everything and may be stealing it for their own pleasure.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections
*I remember enjoying Count Me In by Varsha Bajaj so when I received a copy of her newest work of fiction, I was looking forward to reading the story.

*While I have read some middle-grade stories about life in India, I was enlightened by many aspects of the day to day life of different caste systems in India.  

*The chapters were short and the plot flowed from page to page.  The end of each chapter left you wanting to read one more to continue the story.

*Minni was a thoughtful, sensitive, and authentic character that brought the reader on her journey from beginning to end.  

*The story was not only about the water crisis but also about the injustices of the caste system in India.


Who Should Read It:
*This slower paced middle-grade novel would be ideal for young readers who enjoy reading about other cultures and what the people of the country are experiencing.  Even though the novel is on the shorter end with short chapters, I think readers in grades four and above would be the most interested in the story line.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment