Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, December 23, 2022

Solito by Javier Zamora

How I Heard About It:
*While at #NCTE22 I had the privilege of listening to Javier Zamora speak at a general session about his experience leaving his home country and trying to get to California when he was nine year olds.  I got a copy of the book, but ended up downloading the title via Audible and have been listening the past couple of weeks.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Javier's parents told him about a "trip" that he was going to take.

*This "trip" would take him from El Salvado to Los Angeles, California.

*At nine years old, he leaves the only family he knows to meet his mother and father who are both in the United States.

*He is told the journey will take maybe two weeks, but Javier ends up out in the wild open for a couple of months.

*Javier travels along side some strangers, is faced with danger after danger, and is presented with situations no adult, let along a child should ever have to deal with.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections
*What an experience this was; seventeen hours and had me glued from the get-go.

*Javier Zamora narrated the book which made it that much more personal and powerful.

*While listening, I kept having to remind myself this was a nine-year old boy going through these horrific situations.  

*I had all the feelings while listening; interest, awe, anger, frustration, sadness, shock, and relief.

*After finishing, I was reminded the of the amazing human spirit, strength, and resilience that people possess.  


Who Should Read It:
*I think the memoir should be read by high-school, college and adult readers.  It is an amazing story and one that won't be forgotten once the book is finished.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
   5 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment