Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, December 4, 2022

Wayward Creatures by Dayna Lorentz

How I Heard About It:
*While attending the "Children's Book Awards" luncheon at #NCTE22, I learned this middle-grade novel was chosen as the winner for the Charlotte Huck Book Award.  Upon arriving home, I got myself a copy and was quite excited to read the story of a boy and a coyote.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Gabe, our central character, is twelve years old and feeling a bit lost both at home and in school.

*In order to impress his two friends, and a new boy, Gabe finds himself in a situation where he makes a poor decision which is not only a risk to himself, but others as well.

*At the same time, a young coyote finds himself out in the wild by himself searching for something "better".

*In order to make amends with the situation he created, Gabe must perform community service.

*During this time of service, Gabe and the coyote cross paths and each learns more about themselves and the world around them.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I had read Of a Feather, which I thought was fantastic, so I was excited to read Dayna Lorentz's newest work of fiction.

*The writing was beautiful, descriptive, and quite telling.

*The story was told in alternating points of view between Gabe and Rill, the coyote; and brought the two together in a suspenseful and engaging way.

*Even though it was preachy and/or "in your face", I enjoyed the life-lesson of making amends after mistakes have been made.

*I know young readers will be able to relate to Gabe and fascinated by the coyote.


Who Should Read It:
*Readers in upper elementary and/or middle-school would be the ideal audience for the novel.  After finishing the story, I think it would make for a strong, engaging, and thought-provoking novel to share with a class.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment