Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, December 18, 2022

Hands by Torrey Maldonado

How I Heard About It:
*Nancy Paulsen (Nancy Paulsen Books) sent me an ARC of Torrey's upcoming novel.  While at #NCTE22 I heard Torrey speak at one of the sessions I attended.  After hearing him speak about the new story he wrote, I picked it up to read as soon as I got back from California.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Most young kids probably don't think about the power of their "hands", but they should.

*Trev is our main character who is devoted to mother and all of his sisters.

*When his stepfather returns, Trev knows he has to take things into his own "hands".

*He begins to learn to box, but will boxing ruin his chance of becoming a talented artist.

*Trev is faced with difficult decisions and wants to become a young man he and others can be proud of.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*The action started on page one and didn't let up until the very last word.

*I enjoyed the story and found Trev to be authentic, compelling, and unique.

*Not only was the plot faced paced, but the short chapters with lots of dialogue keep me reading page after page.

*Torrey grabs the reader's attention and brings them into the environment of the character.

*The theme of making life choices will lead to deep and meaningful conversations.  


Who Should Read It:
*In my opinion, readers in grade three through six would be ideal for Hands.  The middle-school reader will also be a wonderful choice for the novel.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment