Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, July 10, 2023

Gossamer Summer by H.M. Bouwman

How I Heard About It:
*This new novel by H.M. Bouwman was sent to me, along with several other titles, via the publisher (Atheneum).  I picked it out from the collection because the title and cover caught my attention.  I figured it was the perfect time to read since it is midsummer.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*The story takes place during summer vacation for four young sisters.  

*They are filling their days with outside play, games, stories, and lots of imagination.

*One of the sisters, JoJo isn't quite sure what she witnessed one early morning, but she is pretty sure she saw a fairy. 

*When she begins to share the news with her three sisters, she decides NOT to tell them the truth.

*After a young boy arrives to live across the street, the group of children set off on an adventure that transports them to another world and land.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*Often times I find it hard to find actual novels that are a bit shorter in length and not overly "heavy" in content.  

*This is the perfect book for readers in grades two, three, four, and even above.  

*The story had everything; family, fantasy, friendship, mystery, and lots of hope and fun.

*JoJo was quite the sister, character, and friend.  She really held the entire plot together.  I so enjoyed her.

*I'm excited to share the title with my upcoming fourth grade class and I'm thinking of picking it as a "Breakfast with Books" book club selection.


Who Should Read It:
*Because of the storyline, the content, and the length of the novel; this is the perfect book for students in grades two, three, four, and above.  I see it being used as a class read aloud in the younger grades.  The book could definitely put in the individual hands of the older kids.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment