Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, July 22, 2023

The Curious Mysteries of Eli Marks by John Gaspard

How I Heard About It:
*A former student, along with her parents, contacted me about this middle-grade novel.  They asked if I would be interested in reading the story because they knew the author and thought I might like to share the book with my students.  I'm so glad they did because I love supporting local authors and their books.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*Eli is our main character who has just recently moved in with his uncle and aunt.

*His uncle is a magician and a member of a famous magician's club.  

*Upon arrival at his new school, Eli comes up against another student who doesn't seem to like him.

*Even though the "bully" seems to be around each and every corner, Eli does meet some new friends who have similar interests as him.

*As the school year progresses, Eli comes face to face with a variety of situations that require his keen sense of magic and solving mysteries.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*What a treat it is to discover an author and title you know nothing about.

*John Gaspard has written a middle-grade story that young readers will certainly be engaged in.

*Each chapter is a separate mystery in which both the reader, and Eli, are asked to solve.  

*The further I got into the story, the more I tried to think about the situation Eli was involved in to see if I could predict the question and mystery that was going to be asked.  

*There are a lot of great mysteries and situations throughout the story that I know young readers will have a ball reading about.


Who Should Read It:
*I believe this is the first book in an up and coming middle-grade series.  The reading level is ideal for readers in third, fourth, and fifth grade.  Of course middle-school students should also be considered for the book.  If you know of a young reader who enjoys magic and magicians, then this is the story for them.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment