Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, July 5, 2023

The Labors of Hercules Beal by Gary D. Schmidt

How I Heard About It:
*Before the release of the novel, May 23, 2023, I came across an E-Galley of Gary D. Schmidt latest middle-grade novel.  I am a huge fan of his writing, so I downloaded the ARC, and got busy reading.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*You would think a boy named Hercules Beal would be the strongest and biggest kid in his class.  Well, this Herc is the opposite being the smallest.

*Hercules has had to deal with a lot in his life, losing his parents to a horrific car accident. 

*He is living with his older brother who has become his caretaker.  His brother thinks a new start at a new school would be a good option for his younger brother.  

*When Hercules begins his classes at the new school, he is a bit intimidated by one of his teachers who assigns a year long project about the mythical Hercules and his "labors".

*As Herc attempts to accomplish all twelve feats, he learns just as many real life lessons that he can apply to his own life.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*The last novel written by Schmidt I read was Just Like That and it became one of my favorite stories.

*I was excited to read his newest book and was not disappointed in the least.

*As soon as I began reading about Hercules, I knew he was a character I would not soon forgot.

*I read the book poolside and was glad to have sunglasses on because there were more than a few occasions when I had tears in my eyes.  

*One of my favorite aspects of the story was the relationship between Herc and his new teacher which was one of the most special relationships I've read about.


Who Should Read It:
*This is a must read for everyone.  I would recommend the story for any fifth and/or sixth grader.  I also think middle-school and high-school readers would also enjoy Herc's story.  Of course any adult reader who gravitates towards middle-school novels, needs to put this title on their TBR list.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   5 STARS out of 5 Stars



1 comment: