Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, July 10, 2023

In Memoriam by Alice Winn

H
ow I Heard About It:
*I bought this novel several months ago and can't really recall where or how I found out about it.  I do remember reading positive and stellar reviews about the story which led me to purchase a copy for myself.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*The year is 1914 and World War I is in full force.

*The war seems a world away from the private boarding school for boys tucked safely away in the forests of England.

*Two students attending the school together are Henry Gaunt and Sidney Ellwood who could not be more different from each other, but there is a "force" that seems to draw them together.

*As the war rages on, Gaunt decides he is needed on the Front Line alongside some of the upper classmen from his school.

*Ellwood is thrilled about losing Gaunt to the war, is afraid of fighting, but finds himself side by side with Gaunt, where both of their lives are at risk.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I'm not usually a reader of historical fiction, especially war stories.

*I was surprised when I was drawn into the story of Ellwood and Gaunt.  The engagement took a bit, but once I was in, I was all in.

*The writing was beautiful and descriptive.  There were times when I could truly feel what the war experience was like.  

*There were several scenes from the novel that were difficult to read and brought tears to my eyes.

*Not only was the plot entertaining, but also eye-opening into what life was like for young men in the early 1900's.


Who Should Read It:
*In Memoriam is the perfect novel for adult readers who gravitate towards well-written fiction; especially historical fiction.  If you are a World War I buff, then this might be the story for you.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment