Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Quirks: Welcome to Normal by Erin Soderberg...

How I Heard About It:   My school librarian brought this book to me a few weeks ago.  The author is a local author for us.  We have also been working together to bring "transitional" chapter books for our third and fourth graders and thought this might fit that category.  

What It Is AboutThe Quirk family has just moved to "Normal."  This family is as opposite as you can get from normal.  Each member of the Quirk family has a special talent, quirk, or magic.  When things get too complicated for the family, they have to move to a new town where people don't know them.  This time they hope they can actually stay and live in their new town.  As the members of the family get acclimated to new schools, new jobs, and new friends; they find new adventures, problems, and quirks.  All events in the story lead up to the annual "Normal" day in town where the Quirk family will surely make their presence known.  

What I Thought Of It:  I found this story quite enjoyable.  The book makes a great first book in a new series for kids.  While reading it, I enjoyed the characters and their unusual quirks.  I also thought that the pictures in the book were fun to look at and definitely added to the story.  There was enough action that kept my interest until the very end so I know it will do the same for young readers.  I'm glad that my school librarian shared this book with me and look forward to sharing it with my students.  

Who Should Read It:  This is the perfect book for our third and fourth grader readers.  It would make an excellent read aloud for students in grades three through five.  I think that readers looking for a transitional chapter book will find this to be a delightful read.  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment